Thursday 27 August 2015

A Change Of View..








I wanted to go out on a school night to a party but my mum would not let me.

She said to me it was a school night and that I had to stay and in do my homework.

I said to my mom it was a lot easier when you were growing up.

She looked at me and said young man you don't know how difficult life was like when I was a young woman. 

We had to fight for equal rights equal pay & to get people to see beyond our gendered.

You have had everything given to you I just wish you could live a week in the life I had.

The next morning I woke up in a small apartment that I did not recognise.

But when I looked in the mirror I recognised a younger version of my mother.

Another woman came in and told me that I had to hurry up as we were going to be late for work.

What a nightmare it was getting dressed was.

My mom was a secretary back in those days so it was skirt blouse shoes and nice hair and makeup.



It was strange as it all seemed to come easy to me like it was something I had done all my life 




I found out I had to work the same hours as a man but get paid less.

I also got no respect from the men at my work after three days in the life of my young mother I was being driven nuts.

My roommate came in and said are you still up for the rally tonight?

When at the rally I burnt my bra like the other women and listen to their complaints about men seeing for the first time.






The next morning I woke up back in my own bed in my own time & in my own body at breakfast my mum asked me did I enjoy the experience?

I said I didn't know you went through so much and from that day on I respected my mother and women more than I ever had done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment